How to Ensure Successful ISO 9001 Implementation
ISO 9001 is one of the most stringent and widely used quality certification standards. This standard makes sure that all the business aspects of a contract manufacturer are well-established and improved contentiously, including roles and responsibilities of management, critical processes, documentation, employee training, customer satisfaction, internal audits, and vendor performance.
The audits of ISO certification are used to check the effectiveness and access compliance according to the documented work instruction and procedures and describe any opportunities for further improvements. During the process of audit, the quality system of the organization is evaluated against the guidelines of the standard. In this way, ISO certification is not only a method of checking the practice followed by your organization, but it is also a powerful tool to improve the processes developed by the organization.
Standards for Implementing ISO Management System
Below mentioned are the standards to ensure smooth and successful ISO implementation in any organization:
• Effective Preparation and Planning: To achieve a smooth implementation of ISO 9001, make sure all the milestones that you have decided are realistic, and the timescales that you have mentioned are achievable. Additionally, ensure that there is enough resources and knowledge, either internal or external. If you are not sure for the timescales, consult the parties that are more experienced in ISO implementation. So plan intelligently so that you can achieve your targets.
• Commitment from the senior management: Even though it is not possible to get 100% commitment from anyone, but if people from the top management are responsible and committed to Quality Management System, then an organization can expect successful ISO implementation. A reliable and oriented set of senior management helps the project managers and his team to work smoothly to reach the target of ISO implementation, especially when the organization is complex, or there are a large number of employees.
• Encouraging support from employees and adapting to the new process: Whenever a new method is implemented, it is necessary to get complete support from the majority of the employees, especially the key employees of the organization. Therefore, always make sure that you consult with all the key employees and stakeholders about ISO implementation plan beforehand. Get the opinion and advice from these people. Provide precise information of ISO implementation, its advantages and disadvantages, and all the outcomes that it may bring to all the people of the organization. If you do so, you will get full support from most of the key people in your organization, and you will be able to perform the uninterrupted installation of ISO.
• Clear, concise, and timely communication: Since ISO implementation required a drastic change in your organizational processes, thus it is needed to communicate very clearly, concisely, and on time. This is to deliver all the required information on time and to the correct person so that it gives the maximum impact. This right person can be your project manager or other organizational leaders.
• Training on ISO process: It is also necessary to give training on ISO process to all the levels of the business. This is because the staff of the organization that is implementing ISO not only needs to know the requirements of ISO, but the quality principals that they require to implement in their day to day work. The ISO process training should be performed as an on-going process according to the needs of different departments.
• Get unbiased opinion from suppliers and vendors: Involving the suppliers and the vendors of the organization to evaluate the current system is another point to be noted in order to involve easy ISO implementation. Generally, they provide unbiased opinion on how effective the current system is and what these people expect from the organization to make process more convenient.
• Evaluation of the performance: This is one of the most crucial steps to measure and improve the Quality Management System (QMS) of an organization. Never wait for the time when everything is in place instead start evaluating things and processes as soon as possible. Whether you measure the performance against the Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) or through internal audit system, make sure to measure the performance and progress against various objectives. Additionally, you can use your internal implementation as a milestone, but whatever method you use to evaluate performances, use it frequently to help your organization perform and improve continuously.
• Change in policy intimation: If there are any changes that are required in the current ISO policy, they should be intimated to the entire organization.
A successful ISO implementation ensures efficient, more customer-centric, and high-quality delivery of projects and thus the tips mentioned above can help businesses achieve it. Apart from this, you can take assistance from any recognized and experienced ISO certification body that can help educating your staff, providing clear and concise documentation, and giving detailed process map to achieve successful ISO implementation.